Obtaining Queensland Police Reports

If you’re in a motor vehicle accident and wish to obtain a copy of the Queensland Police investigation documents (for example, if you are fucked over by the police) there seem to be two ways to go about getting a copy:

If you speak to police officers, it seems that the official method for access to your report is via CITEC. This costs (as at 2010-01-20) $70.70, and only actually provides you with a copy of the textual body of the report. Any attached documents, photos, scanned notes, drawings, or even statements which have been attached, rather than included are not part of the CITEC report, nor or they held by CITEC at all. The “Other Documents” mentioned in the CITEC Confirm application won’t get you these either – apparently it is for things like blood alcohol reading documents and other such things. As mentioned before, the police don’t actually transfer anything but the textual document to CITEC.

The other way, which I found out after I’d gotten a CITEC report and wondered where the hell all the information was, is to request a copy of all documents via the Queensland Government’s Right To Information (RTI) Act. This is a recent replacement of the Freedom of Information Act, and seems to work in a similar manner. A RTI request costs (as at 2010-01-20) $38 (unless the documents only contain personal information about you – probably not the case if it is a motor vehicle accident), and you can request copies of all relevant documents, not just textual information which is sent to CITEC.

I’m still waiting on my RTI request, but at this point I would say don’t even bother with a CITEC confirm report and go straight to a RTI request. It is much cheaper, and the CITEC confirm report is woefully inadequate in this sort of case.


  1. Hi,

    While you can apply for the CITEC reports under RTI (or under the Information Privacy Act 2009 for documents containing your personal information) the police can, and probably will, refuse you access to it on the grounds that access is available through other means. Basically, if an agency has set up another way for people to access information, section 53 allows them to refuse access if someone applies for it under the RTI Act. If it’s available from CITEC, buy it from CITEC, otherwise you are going to waste the 25 business (or more) days only to get nothing at the end of it.

  2. Requesting copy of Car Accident happened on 8 Nov 2012 at Dohles Rock Road Murrumba Downs, please.

    Myrna Hughson
    on behalf of Ericson Capinuyan

  3. Thank you for the information. I had initially contacted CITEC but I have just emailed RTI.

    Hopefully, I will get the incident report which I have been waiting for a month now.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *